Sunday, January 22, 2017

Day 4: "Do Not Fear, for I Am With You"

Today was more of a relaxed day as we began by going to worship at a congregation that is located on the same campus as the Moriah School and the seminary.  It was a wonderful service of which I had the honor of preaching on John 2 and the wedding at Cana.  For me, what made it a blessed opportunity was not simply because I got to preach but also because members of the team were able to share their story with those who had gathered for worship.  Here are a couple of pictures of them sharing their stories:


Me preaching


Lisa Bell sharing her story


Dustin Behr sharing his story


Madelyn Krinke sharing her story


Esther Dale sharing her story

Among those in worship with us today were some of the children from the Moriah School.  In a previous post I shared that the Moriah school is part of the ministry of Bible Faith Lutheran Ministries to India.  What I didn't share is that part of the schools ministry are to children who have either lost one or both parents.  In fact, out of the 150+ children enrolled at the Moriah School, 30 of them have lost one or both parents.  The Moriah School provides housing, food, and education to the children until they have completed their schooling (through 10th grade).  Here are a couple of pictures of the children during worship and throughout the day:



Singing during the offering


Getting ready for lunch



Waiting to eat


Playing with some new balls that were purchased for the children

During the course of the day I noticed the green colored shirts that the boys were wearing. Apparently, someone had given these shirts to them a little while ago.  On the front it reads, "Marked for Life" with a Bible passage from Isaiah 49:16.  On the back is a passage from Isaiah 41:10 that read, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand".  When I read the back of their shirt I remember thinking how appropriate that is for these children who have already gone through so much in their short life.  But then I remembered what some of BLSC's members shared during the worship service and it hit me, tragedy is not just found with these children.  Loss is not something exclusive to them.  While their stories are tragic and sad, there are many other stories out there that speak to life in an imperfect and sinfilled world.

Like your story.  When you look at your own story what tragedies have you faced?  What loss have you experienced?  How has it played into your story as a Christian?

That's something I was blessed with today as I heard the people from BSLC.  Their stories didn't end in hopelessness and despair.  Instead, it ended with Jesus.  It brought them closer to Him in their life and from that came hope, strength and the knowledge of a God who is with them and loves them in Jesus Christ.

As these children continue to grow up, they will know that too.  Bible Faith Lutheran  Ministry will do their best to make sure the children know of that same God who brings hope, strength and a love that can only be found in Christ alone.

May you too be reminded of that as you read this blog post.  That your story doesn't end with the tragedies and pains of this life but rather it ends with the promise of God found in Isaiah 41:10...A God who is with you...A God who strengthens you...A God who loves you in Christ Jesus alone.

God's richest blessings to you!

Pastor Joe Behnke

No comments:

Post a Comment